I've adjusted the seasonings a bit, as the mushrooms aren't marinated and therefore don't take on as much flavor as the chicken does in the original recipe.
1 pint white button mushrooms
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup cassava flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1-2 cups lard, tallow, coconut oil or palm oil
1. Mix the coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, thyme, and turmeric.
2. Cut the mushrooms into quarters. Larger mushrooms can be cut into smaller pieces.
3. Place the mushrooms into the coconut milk mixture and stir until completely covered.
4. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil on medium high.
5. Mix the cassava flour, salt, thyme, and sage.
6. Dip 5-6 mushrooms at a time into the cassava flour mixture and coat well. Remove to a plate and repeat until all the mushrooms are coated.
7. When the mushrooms are ready to fry, check if the oil is hot by flicking a small drop of water into the oil. If it sizzles, the oil is ready.
8. In batches, gently put the mushrooms into the oil. The mushrooms should not be overcrowded. Allow to fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden.
9. Remove the mushrooms from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain.
These would probably be pretty awesome with some ranch dressing. Give this one a try and let me know how it is!