Monday, May 05, 2014

AIP Cranberry-Apple Sauce

Yes, I realize this post is a bit of an anachronism. Cranberry Sauce belongs at Thanksgiving and Christmas, not in May. Well, I bought cranberries and wanted to use them, so I just had to make my mom's cranberry-apple sauce!

Well, sort of. My mom's recipe calls for butter and brown sugar and pecans and marshmallows, none of which strict AIP-followers can have (unless, of course, you make paleo/AIP marshmallows and have successfully reintroduced nuts). Anyways, I really wanted to try making my mom's recipe AIP-friendly, so I did! Here's a cranberry sauce you can happily serve at your next holiday gathering, or just any old time you want a delicious side to pair with your roast chicken...or salmon...or pork...or midnight snack...



Ingredients
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1 bag fresh cranberries
4-6 tart apples (peeled and roughly chopped)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4-1/2 cup coconut flakes (optional)

Directions
1. In a large saucepan or wok, sauté the cranberries in ghee or oil until most of the berries have broken.
2. Add the apples, then stir in the honey and spices.
3. Cover and simmer for a few minutes until the apples are slightly soft.
4. Put mixture into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle coconut flakes over top.
5. Bake at 350°F/180°C for about 20 minutes, or until the coconut is lightly browned. I normally serve this hot, but it's delicious however you serve it!!

2 comments:

Phoenix Helix said...

This looks absolutely scrumptious. Thanks for sharing it at the AIP Recipe Roundtable, Allison. I hope you'll join us again.

Allison said...

Thank you, Eileen! Happy to share!!